I have created this blog to hopefully inspire average, everyday Americans to do their part in supporting our troops by being “An American Worth Dying For.” If you are new to the site, please read oldest to newest.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day

My daughter Jennifer runs my Verizon shop for me. She does a great job of it and only calls when she really needs me. Now and then she might have a customer or employee issue, or maybe there isn't enough money to pay a bill or buy the inventory she needs.

She called me last Friday as I was setting up for SGT Wichmann's service.

"Mom, I don't think I can tell you this without crying."

Uh oh, I sensed this was bad.

"One of our customers came in today."

Whooh, I can handle this, it's just a customer issue.

"She's a really nice lady and a good customer."

So, what's the problem, I'm thinking?

"Her 16 year old daughter Shelby is dying of cancer."

My heart sinks. I can't fix this customer's problem.

"She asked about the hearse, and if you still do funerals. Shelby has talked about you."

"Of course, I told her you would do her funeral."

"She still can't bring herself work on the arrangements, but she wants you there."

"Of course, I told her there would be no charge."

"Shelby wants to be cremated. She doesn't want to be buried in the dirt."

"Of course, I told her you can still do it, even if she is cremated."

"I invited them to the barbeque you are having for Duke and Lady in June."

"She says Shelby is so sick now, she doesn't get out much."

Well then, we will take Duke to Shelby. Let's don't put this off. Duke will be going to church Sunday, call her and ask her if Duke can come by and see Shelby on Mother's Day after church.

"She's says Shelby's grandma goes to the same church. She doesn't get to see her grandma much now that she is so sick. If she is feeling good enough, she will come to church and see both her grandma and Duke. If not, you can take Duke over after church."

Sunday, May 9th, Mother's Day

I was just loading Duke in the trailer when I got the call.

"Shelby had a bad night. She's not up to meeting Duke today."

The coward in me breathed a sigh of relief. I did not know how I was going to face this young lady without falling apart. The mother's heart within me ached, though. How I wanted to be able to give her mother the joy of seeing her baby smile on Mother's Day. How I wanted Duke to distract Shelby and her mother from their pain, if only for a few minutes.

"She will call you when Shelby has a good day and you can take Duke over then."

I pray she has a good day so she can meet Duke.

"She still wants you to do her funeral even if she doesn't get to meet Duke."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will pray for Shelby and her family.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with Shelby and her family.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Shelby and her family.